Thursday, March 24, 2011

I Am A Muslim Because...

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

Dear Friends

I pray that you are well.

The Messenger of Allah, Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: “Islam is to testify that there is no deity worthy of worship but Allah, and Muhammad (Allah bless him and grant him peace) is the Messenger of Allah, to perform prayers, to give zakat, to fast in Ramadhan, and to perform hajj to the House if you are able to do so.”

Every Muslim know this. These are the five pillars of Islam which are the most important outward acts of Islam. This does not mean they are the only part of our religion. But if we take care of these five things, we improve our spiritual being as well as fulfilling the rights of the poor. People won't be so hungry to force them to steal or cheat or revolt against their governments.

While we are busy with the affairs of people across the ocean, we should not forget about the people in our local communities. Your own communities should be your top priority. Don't close your eyes to those battered wives and their children. Don't close your eyes to those struggling single mothers and their children. Don't forget the youths. Bring the youths to the masjid--create programs for them.

There are more mosques around us than 20 years ago, many activist-oriented people and organizations and many Islamic conventions/seminars. But unfortunately there are more problems in the Muslim communities than 20 years ago. Why? Because we talk a lot and not much action.

We should ask ourselves. Am I a Muslim because my mom and dad happen to be Muslims, or am I a Muslim because of something cultural or because it feels good, or am I a Muslim because I believe in Allah and His Messenger, Allah bless him and grant him peace, and I want to seek the pleasure of Allah.

If we truly believe in Allah and His Messenger, Allah bless him and grant him peace, and are seeking the pleasure of Allah, then we should refocus ourselves.

May Allah increase our iman. Ameen. Please don't forget us in your night prayers. JazakAllahu khairan.

And Allah knows best.
Wassalaam

2 comments:

  1. Assalamualaikum sister,

    I couldn't agree with you more. I am trying to do the small part that I can especially with my children and my students. A friend of mine gave me your blog address. I am not sure if you know him but his daughter is studying in Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa alaykum salaam. May Allah give you tawfiq. Ameen. Wassalaam.

    ReplyDelete