Saturday, May 1, 2010

Godly children

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

Dear Friends

I pray that you are well.

I had a surprise call from an old colleague the other day while trying to fix my jammed printer! He was just checking on how my boys were doing and what I have been up to lately. He knew my boys pretty well when they were little because I used to take them to work a lot--to courts--and sometimes he would find them with me and he would play with them while I did my work. I told him that the kids are bigger and "smarter" than me. There I was trying to fix my jammed printer and I could not fix it and there came one of my boys, he fixed it! MashaAllah. I wonder how I managed to fix these high tech equipments when they were little! So he said, "back then we were younger, we found enjoyment with these kinds of challenge." I agreed with him and added that we have less patience with these sort of things as we are moving closer to our graves.

We got to discuss about the future of our children. I thought this was my opportunity to give him a little da'wah. I said the best thing for my children is to teach them about the One God and the Qur'an well. When they know God well, we can hope for them to be godly. And who wouldn't want godly children--they will pray for us and continue our good deeds. He concurred.

My colleague is a devout Christian, quite resourceful and charitable. We talked about zakat and charity in Islam and he found that fascinating. On that note, I asked him what he had planned to do with all his money. He said, "Spend it! So it won't be a cause of court battles and civil wars between people when I am six feet underground." So I said, "Why don't you spend it in the way of Allah so you can rest in peace when you are six feet underground, and I can help you with that." I also told him about the projects that I have which need lots of funding. For that he said, "doesn't sound like a bad idea!"

Please make du'a for this friend of mine. He is open to learn about Islam. May Allah guide him. Ameen.

Narrated `Aisha, Allah be well pleased with her:Fatima and Al−`Abbas came to Abu Bakr, Allah be well pleased with all of them, claiming their inheritance of the Prophet's land of Fadak and his share from Khaibar. Abu Bakr said, "I heard the Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him peace, saying, 'Our property is not inherited, and whatever we leave is to be given in charity. But the family of Muhammad can take their sustenance from this property.' By Allah, I would love to do good to the Kith and kin of Allah's Apostle rather than to my own Kith and kin." (Bukhari)

Narrated `Urwa, Allah be well pleased with him:`Aisha said, "When Allah's Apostle, Allah bless him and grant him peace, died, his wives intended to send `Uthman to Abu Bakr asking him for their share of the inheritance." Then `Aisha said to them, "Didn't Allah's Apostle say, 'Our (Apostles') property is not to be inherited, and whatever we leave is to be spent in charity?'" (Bukhari)

May Allah bless your day. Ameen. Please don't forget us in your night prayers. Jazakallahu khairan.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalaam