Monday, October 3, 2011

Looking in Hindsight

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

Dear Friends

I pray that you are well.

It is very clear that the media can shape and change people's attitude. If you have a sheep-like mentality, most people do, you can be easily influenced. As Muslims we should not quickly believe everything we hear or see in the media, but unfortunately people do, even when they say they don't. This is because the media is very clever in conveying their message--it is their job.

It is very important to check any story ourselves (especially at the detail level) before we believe it and follow the bandwagon, and be prepared to stand alone even contrary to the majority, and if you can't, don't read or watch the news because you can be easily swayed, through the subliminal messages and your lack of insight and wisdom, and you could wrong and harm yourselves. At the same time you are indirectly aiding certain people/group to further their unjust and evil agenda. If nothing else you are helping the corrupt media groups to flourish.

We should be guided by the Shari'ah in whatever we do, not by majority views, and definitely not by the media. That is why knowledge of this religion is vital.

Alhamdulillah, I always remember what a very wise person once told me when I first came to United States, and that shaped the way I do things until now. I was quite young, naive and inexperienced then and was looking for a detergent but didn't know what to choose. I remembered a commercial on TV about a particular brand and without hesitation I chose the brand. The wise person said, "don't believe the commercials" and it so happened that the brand I bought was not any better than a cheaper generic brand. That taught me a great lesson about the media. I don't read newspaper nor watch the news or TV, and I always make a point to choose no brand name or generic brands for every product I bought unless it doesn't have one. I don't buy anything based on advertisements/commercials

People often wonder where do I get my news! News are just that--a report of something that already happened. I can't do anything about it and I am not a reporter. So do I really need to spend my life for news? If it is so bad, I will hear about it. How? From those who watch the news. They are bound to be people who cannot live without watching the news--you just cannot change them or they don't receive this type of message.

All the news are pretty much telling you the same--people need help. People who need help are always present till the end of time. Just look around you, there are so many of them that you have no ability to help them all. You help as many people you can everyday regardless what the media reports. If you have so much time in your hand for the media, this time is best spent on sending blessings upon the Prophet, Allah bless and grant him peace, dhikr, thinking about how to help your community grow, read the Shama'il Muhammadiya, Allah bless him and grant him peace, or even look at the stars or your garden in your backyard as you will get a whole lot of benefit by reflecting on the creation of Allah. Mighty and Majestic.

Watch this video and tell me if you are not convinced. Don't say you are not that stupid. Perhaps, you are not, but everyone is a genius in hindsight.

May Allah guide us. Ameen. Please don't forget us in your night prayers. Jazakallahu khairan.

And Allah knows best.
Wassalaam

No comments:

Post a Comment