Saturday, June 22, 2019

Dream of Imam Hamzah -- Love Of AllahTowards The People of The Quran

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate

Imam Hamzah رحمه الله is one of the ten Qurra of Qiraat Al 'Asharah.

It is mentioned by Al Hafiz Al Mizzi in his book, Tahdhib Al Kamal, and ibn Al Jawzi in his book, Sifatu Safwah, and Ibnu Shahin in his book, Al Isharat fi Ilmi Al Ibarat (the science of dream interpretation), on the authority of Khalaf ibn Hisham Al-Bazzar, who is one of the two narrators in riwayah Hamzah from Sulaym ibn Isa, that his teacher, Sulaym, once narrated to him: “I once entered upon Hamzah ibn Habibi Az-Zayyad and I found him rolling his cheeks onto the ground while crying.”

I then exclaimed, “I seek refuge with Allah for your protection.” He then replied, “O You, what are you seeking protection for me from?”

He then narrated, “I saw in my dream the plain of hot violent winds as if the Day of Resurrection had been established. And that the reciters of the Quran had been summoned. So in respect to that I had been one of those that attended.

Thereupon, I heard a caller called in the sweetest words, ‘None shall enter upon Me except those who lived in accordance with the Quran.’

Upon that I retreated in despair قهقر (because Hamzah didn’t think he was one of them) until I heard a caller called my name. ‘Where is Hamzah ibn Habibi Az Zayyad?’

I then replied, ‘At your service, O caller of Allah, At your service.’

At which point an Angel hastened towards me and said, ‘But rather say, ‘At your service O Allah, At your service.’ So I replied with what I was told. Labbayk Allah humma labbayk

I was made to enter a dwelling wherein I heard the sound of reciters. Somebody reciting here and there, a congregation of reciters. I then paused and began to tremble from shock of where I was until I heard a caller announced, ‘No harm shall befall you. Rise and recite.’ لا بأس عليك

I then turned my face to find that I was now standing on a pulpit of white pearls. Its sides were yellow sapphire and its steps were green emeralds.

He then said to me. ‘Rise and recite.’ At which point I rose. He then said to me, Recite Surah An-Am.’
Thereupon I began to recite, not knowing who exactly I was reciting to, until ayah 60. Immediately upon reaching the next ayah, وَهُوَ ٱلْقَاهِرُ فَوْقَ عِبَادِهِۦ And He is the Subjugator over His servants ,” He then said to me, ‘O Hamzah, am I not the Subjugator over My servants?’ (when this was asked, Hamzah knew who the speaker was, and that He is the Most Majestic, The Great, our Creator, Glory be to Him, the Most High).
Thereupon I said, ‘Yes, but rather You are.’

He (Allah) replied, ‘You have spoken the truth. Recite.’

I recited until finish Surah An-Am. Then I recited Surah Al Araf until I reached to the end. And in like the manner I began to prostrate (because at the end of the Surah is a verse of prostration).

He then said to me, ‘Sufficient for what has already has passed. Do not prostrate O Hamzah.’ (i.e. for the prostration in the dunya. The world of accountability has ended, i.e. dunya. And in the dream it was qiyamah. And obviously on that day there will be no more obligations.)

He said, ‘Who taught you this recitation?. I then replied, ‘Sulaym’. He then said, ‘You have spoken the truth.’ ‘And who taught Sulaym.’ I replied, ‘Yahya.’ He then replied, ‘Yahya has spoken the truth.’ ‘Wnd who did Yahya recite to?’ I replied, ‘Abu Abdul Rahman Al Sulami’. He then said, Abu Abdul Rahman Al Sulami has spoken the truth.’ ‘And who taught Abu Abdul Rahman?’ I replied, ‘the cousin of Your Prophet salallahu alayhi wasallam, Ali ibn Abi Talib.’ He then said, ‘Ali spoke the truth’. ‘And who taught Ali?’ I replied, ‘Your Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam’. He then said, ‘And who taught My Prophet?’. I replied, ‘Jibril’

He then said, ‘’And who taught Jibril?’ I then remained silent. He then said, ‘O Hamzah, say "You."’

Hamzah said, “How can I venture myself in saying ‘You.’

Out of shyness and haya’ (modesty) of Allah, Hamzah’s mind was unable to comprehend that he is standing in front of Allah. The Most Majestic is speaking to him while responding.
So I said, ‘You.’

He replied, ‘You have spoken the truth O Hamzah, and from the rights of the Quran is that I honor the people of the Quran, especially if they live by the Quran. O Hamzah, the Quran is My Speech. And there is nobody that I love more than the people of the Quran. Come close, O Hamzah.’ So I came close until He submerged my hand in Al Ghaliyah (a rich scented fragrance). And that perfumed me with it.

He then said, ‘I have not done this just for you. But rather I have done this for the reciters before you and after you. And whoever is made to recite the Quran the way you have been made to, he will arrive to nobody except Me on the Day of Resurrection. And I have concealed from you, O Hamzah, and that I have more. Thus, inform your companions of My Honoring and love for the people of the Quran. For verily they are the chosen and outstanding (Mustafa al Akhyar). O Hamzah, by My Glory and Might, I shall never punish a tongue that recited the Quran with the Fire, nor a heart that retains it, nor an ear that hears it, nor an eye that looks at it.’

I then exclaimed, ‘Glory to be to You, Glory be to You, O My Lord. (Subhanaka bi Rabbi)’

He then said, ‘O Hamzah, where are those that look at my Mushaf?’

I then replied, My Lord, Do you mean those who have memorized (Huffadh al Masahif)?’
He replied, ‘No. But rather I shall preserve them. So when they come to Me I will raise them for every verse (they recite) a level’

(i.e. those who recite by looking at the Mushaf are one group, and those who recite from memory are another group. Each will be rewarded accordingly. When Hamzah asked about those that look at the Mushaf he assumed the Huffadh)

Hamzah then turned around to his student, Sulaym, and said to him, ‘And will you rebuke me for crying while I am in the ground.’

This is who Hamzah was and the love of Allah towards people of the Quran. We hope this motivates us to learn Quran and improve our relationship with the Quran.

We ask Allah to forgive us and have mercy on us.

اللهم اجعلنا من أهل القرآن ، الذين هم أهلك وخاصتك ، يا أرحم الراحمين

O Allah, make us of the people of the Quran, who are Your elect and honored people, O the Most Merciful.

Aameen.

Allahumma salli 'ala Muhammad wa 'ala aalihi wa sahbihi wasallam.

And Allah knows best and is Most Wise, and He alone grants success, and to Him is the final return of all.

Wassalaam

No comments:

Post a Comment