Sunday, November 16, 2014

Keep Company of the Righteous and Love the Righteous

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

Dear Friends

I pray that you are well.

Keep the company of righteous people because they can help you overcome your shortcomings and take you closer to Allah. We should love the righteous people and not considered ourselves as one of them.

This is a conversation between Imam Shafi'i and Imam Ahmad (may Allah have mercy on them).

Imam Shafi'i said:

احب الصالحين ولست منهم *** لعلي أن انال بهم شفاعة
واكره من تجارته المعاصي *** وإن كنا سواء في البضاعة

I love the righteous, although I'm not of them
Perhaps I shall receive intercession through them
And I hate he who trades in sins (deals in acts of disobedience)
Although we are both dealing in the same trade.

So Imam Ahmad responded:

فرد عليه الامام احمد رحمه الله
تحب الصالحين وانت منهم *** ومنكم سوف يلقون الشفاعة
وتكره من تجارته المعاصي *** وقانا الله من شر البضاعة

You love the righteous and you are of them
And from you shall they receive intercession
And you hate he who trades in sins
May Allah protect us from the evil of such trade

One of the companions came to the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and grant him peace), and said, “I travelled through the day and night and I am filled with thirst and my mount is tired and fatigued, and it was just because I wanted to reach you before you leave this world to ask you a question.”

The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace), asked him, “What is it that you want to ask me about?” He replied, “My question is, what is the sign of those whom Allah chooses, and what is the sign of those whom Allah does not choose?”

So the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace), asked him, “In what state did you awake this morning?”

Note here that the man asked about Divine election and the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) asked him what his state was.

He said, “I awoke this morning loving goodness, and joyous with any goodness I do, and saddened by any goodness that I missed….” “Enough.” said the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace), “These are the signs of Allah in those whom he chooses. If He wanted you for something else he would have prepared you for it.” [at-Tabrani]

May Allah grant us righteous companions. Ameen.

Please don't forget us in your night prayers. Jazakallahu khairan.

And Allah knows best.
Wassalaam

No comments:

Post a Comment