Saturday, October 8, 2016

The Path of Knowledge -- The Reviving Rain That Came My Way

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate

Assalaamu alaykum

"The example of a believer is that of a fresh tender plant; from whatever direction the wind comes, it bends it, but when the wind becomes quiet, it becomes straight again. Similarly, a believer is afflicted with calamities (but he remains patient till Allah removes his difficulties.) And an impious wicked person is like a pine tree which keeps hard and straight till Allah cuts (breaks) it down when He wishes."

مَثَلُ الْمُؤْمِنِ كَمَثَلِ الْخَامَةِ مِنَ الزَّرْعِ مِنْ حَيْثُ أَتَتْهَا الرِّيحُ كَفَأَتْهَا، فَإِذَا اعْتَدَلَتْ تَكَفَّأُ بِالْبَلاَءِ، وَالْفَاجِرُ كَالأَرْزَةِ صَمَّاءَ مُعْتَدِلَةً حَتَّى يَقْصِمَهَا اللَّهُ إِذَا شَاءَ ‏

[Narrated by Bukhari]

"If you wish to seek the path of knowledge, be prepared for its trials."

This was the warning of a great teacher of mine many years ago when I told him that I wanted to pursue the path of knowledge and take my three young sons to Egypt to study Islam. I thought I understood him, I was wrong. I didn't understand him, until I embarked into this journey. For the past nine years since I began this journey, it was severely difficult. I thought it could only get easier from there, I was wrong. Some trials were much more difficult than others. But the moment I recognized that it is but a trial and dealt with it in the best way I could, things got better. In fact, I had never felt so happy in my entire life afterwards. Then the next trial. And it has been that alternating series for the past nine years.

One trial after another, and each one harder than the last, some start before others finish, and only getting easier and easier; at least it seems that way. And finally (one could only hope), a most recent trial has been a cloud overhead for the past few days, but I know there will be a ray of sunshine soon. I just have to wait and be patient for it.

Alhamdulillah I was able to participate in yesterday's ceremony of completing the recitation of the Qur'an from memory in the Ten Recitations (Qiraat Ashara) by two of my sons. It only took them four months under the teaching and guidance of a very dedicated teacher, who, to me, was a God-send this past Ramadhan. No mother will not feel the utmost joy over this; after nine years of searching and lots of "failures". And the teacher was sent at a time when I was facing a series of calamities in my life. This is a reviving rain that came my way. Even so, the journey for the past four months was not without all kinds of trials, one after another...you can't count them. Did I expect them? No. But it didn't catch me by surprise; I remembered what my teacher had said, and that kept me going.

Indeed the only thing that would save one from trials and tribulations with Allah’s permission is correct knowledge. If you don’t gain correct knowledge, it is possible that you will fall into the trials and you won’t know that it’s a calamity. We seek knowledge from the people of knowledge, and we should not become lazy. When trials come, know it is a trial, so deal with it in an appropriate manner to the best of your ability. "And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him a way out [Qur'an, At-Talaq 65:2]... And whoever fears Allah - He will make for him of his matter ease." [Qur'an, At-Talaq 65:4]
الٓمٓ ﴿١﴾ أَحَسِبَ ٱلنَّاسُ أَن يُتْرَكُوٓا۟ أَن يَقُولُوٓا۟ ءَامَنَّا وَهُمْ لَا يُفْتَنُونَ ﴿٢﴾ وَلَقَدْ فَتَنَّا ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِهِمْ ۖ فَلَيَعْلَمَنَّ ٱللَّهُ ٱلَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا۟ وَلَيَعْلَمَنَّ ٱلْكَـٰذِبِينَ ﴿٣

Alif, Lam, Meem (1) Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (2) But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident the liars. (3)
[Qur'an, Al-Ankabut 29:1-3]

You can find the sweetest happiness in the midst of trial.

Don't think that worry and sorrow are out of place
as long as you are in this world.
It only brings forth what its attribute and quality demand. [Hikam of Ibn Ata'illah)

"Strange are the ways of a believer for there is good in every affair of his and this is not the case with anyone else except in the case of a believer for if he has an occasion to feel delight, he thanks (Allah), thus there is a good for him in it, and if he gets into trouble and shows resignation (and endures it patiently), there is a good for him in it."

عَجَبًا لأَمْرِ الْمُؤْمِنِ إِنَّ أَمْرَهُ كُلَّهُ خَيْرٌ وَلَيْسَ ذَاكَ لأَحَدٍ إِلاَّ لِلْمُؤْمِنِ إِنْ أَصَابَتْهُ سَرَّاءُ شَكَرَ فَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَهُ وَإِنْ أَصَابَتْهُ ضَرَّاءُ صَبَرَ فَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَهُ

[Narrated by Muslim]

May Allah make us of those who are truthful and patient. May Allah save us from the trials and tribulations of this life and the next and grant us peace and tranquility. Ameen.

Allahumma salli 'ala Muhammad wa 'ala aalihi wa sahbihi wasallam.

And Allah knows best and is Most Wise, and He alone grants success, and to Him is the final return of all.

Wassalaam

No comments:

Post a Comment