Friday, April 25, 2014

Surah Kahf Day: Ending Arguments

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

Dear Friends

I pray that you are well.

Allah Almighty, out of His complete Mercy, has set forth everything we need in the Qur’an. Allah gave us many examples to explain the religion so that we may comprehend it.

But instead of understanding and taking a lesson, man argues.

Allah Almighty says,
وَلَقَدْ صَرَّفْنَا فِى هَـٰذَا ٱلْقُرْءَانِ لِلنَّاسِ مِن كُلِّ مَثَلٍ ۚ وَكَانَ ٱلْإِنسَـٰنُ أَكْثَرَ شَىْءٍ جَدَلًا ﴿٥٤

And indeed We have explained in this Qur'an every subject in various ways for the people. But man is most quarrelsome of all things. (54)
[Qur'an Al-Kahf 18:54]

Tasreef is to diversify and repeat. Tasreef is used for winds, because winds come from all directions and come again and again. Allah has presented different way, styles, and every kind of example that is necessary for them so that man can understand. Allah mentions parables, warnings, glad tidings to convey the message to mankind.

Jidaal is an argument in which two parties try to overcome each other. Jidaal is not an ordinary debate but it is a severe argument; none of the parties are willing to give up. If there is one thing mankind is good at, it is arguing.

That man is most quarrelsome has been testified through a hadith narrated by 'Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) in which the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wassallam has been reported to have said, "On the day of Judgment, a man from among the disbelievers will be brought forth. He will be asked, 'what was your response to the messenger We had sent to you?' He will say, '0 my Lord, as for me, I did believe in You and in Your messenger too and that I obeyed him in everything I did.' Allah will say, 'here is your book of deeds before you. All this you say is not there.' This man will say, 'I do not believe in this book of deeds.' Allah will say, 'what about these angels of Ours? They used to watch you. They bear witness against you.' This man will say, 'I do not accept their testimony as well, nor do I know them, nor have I seen them while I was doing what I did.' Allah will say, 'if so, this Preserved Tablet is before you. Written here too is the same thing about you.' He will say, 'my Lord, have You granted me asylum from injustice or have you not?' Allah will say, 'Of course, you have your refuge against injustice with Us.' So then, he will say, '0 my Lord, how can I accept the verdict of those unseen witnesses I am not familiar with at all? As for me, I can only accept a witness that comes from my own person.' At that time, his mouth will be sealed, and his hands and feet will bear witness against his kufr and shirk. After that, he will be released and thrown into the Hell.

In Surah Al-Baqarah, the first example Allah mentions is the mosquito and He mentions the objection of those who hear this example, that why would Allah use a mosquito to strike a parable. The objective behind an example is to make the concept easier for understanding, and is not meant for dispute.

We can end arguments and disputes by silence. The Prophet sallallahu alayhi wassallam promised a house in the middle of Jannah for the person who leaves an argument even if they are in the right.

May Allah save us from Hellfire. Ameen.

Please don't forget us in your night prayers. Jazkum Allahu khairan.

And Allah knows best.
Wassalaam

No comments:

Post a Comment