Thursday, April 1, 2010

Raising strong Muslims

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful, Most Compassionate
Assalaamu alaykum

I pray that you are well.

One thing I hate about flying is going through the airport security. I just don't like the pat-down. Usually I went along with it convincing myself they were only doing their job. But for some reason last night I could not convince myself that anymore and I felt I need to do something because I clearly saw that they were discriminating against me. No one else, including my boys, were asked to step aside except me. At first I asked the person if my pins that secured my hijab triggered the alarm (which I did not hear it went off). He said NO. So I asked, "So, is it it because I am a Muslim!?" He grudgingly smiled! While I was being pat down, I said to the lady, "You know this is not right that I am being singled out for this because I look Muslim!" She didn't say anything. After the pat down, the lady said thank you. I said to her, "Please don't thank me, I certainly didn't let you do this willingly!"

My kids were observing all what was going on. After I helped my kids to put away all our belongings and personal items from the conveyor belt which by now were all over the place, I told the boys to wait at the corner so I could complain to the authorities. As I was walking away, my 3 boys, in panic, called me, "Mom! Mom!" a few times. I turned back to them because clearly they were distressed and left the area. Then I started my speech to them. I said, "You see now what is going on. We have been flying for many years and never once I was not asked to step aside. You cannot let it go and simply go with the flow. I will be an 80 year old lady and they will still do the pat-down on me! And it can worse than this if we overlook this. You are the ones who can change this. I am only one person and I am a woman. But I can guide you. You have to be strong Muslims to change this and that's what I am trying to make you inshaAllah. And you can do the same to your children. If you cannot change it during your time, your children will inshaAllah. You cannot be strong if you don't take your religion seriously, if you don't learn it, if Allah is not your number one, if you waste your time, if you bicker among yourselves, if your computer is more important than your brother, if you get tired with 30 minutes of Qur'an but you are not tired with talking and texting with your friends, with Naruto, Warcraft for hours. While I am still alive, help me and don't fight me!" I noticed my kids were very quiet throughout this lecture! MashaAllah. They knew I was very angry at the situation and if they were to say one word I would have more to say! I could do a little simmering but I wanted my kids to learn from this episode and take it seriously. inna lillahi wainna ilayhi raji'un. So I thought I made my point and we walked towards the gate and while waiting for boarding they read their Qur'an--such coolness to my eyes. SubhanAllah.

We can change our situation in no time if we want to. We just have to learn from our history. Muslims were minority but they were able to turn ruins into the ornament of the world. They were the "Super Power" at one time. Why? Because they were righteous and they took Allah and His Messenger, Allah bless him and grant him peace, seriously and they were determined to change the world and spread the light to humanity. The point is not whether we are a majority or a minority. Muslims changed the world because they were firmed and held fast to the commands of Allah and so Allah gave them victory. la hawla wala quwwata illa billah.

So we have to start somewhere and that somewhere is here, now. Each of us, as parents have a big role to play--we must teach our children their religion well and we cannot wait till they are "older." Each day you missed teaching them something about Islam, you have deprived them of Islam a great deal and you cannot catch up with what you have missed. Sooner or later they will become a leaf in the wind of ignorance. So for those who have young kids, you are fortunate and don't waste this opportunity to teach them Islam because they are like sponges--they take everything, good or bad. As for older children, they can be a constant challenge, but we haven't missed the boat as long as they are still with us. So take the steps. But first, you yourself have to show the determination and don't give up. Anything you do towards this is a step closer to Allah and to changing our situation as Muslims minority.

May Allah guide us and give us tawfiq and make our children a generation of strong Muslims and cause victory of Islam in their hands. Ameen. Please remember us in your night prayers. Jazakallahu khairan.

Wassalaam