Monday, January 11, 2010

Hijab story

BismillahirRahmanirRahim
Assalaamu alaykum

I pray that you are well.

From a sister, may Allah increase her ..........

Wa alaikum Salaam, sister Aisha,

This is fun, really. I enjoyed reading your experiences because it showed how Allah is ever Merciful and Generous to us. Mine is like this, for years after I embraced Islam, I struggled wearing hijab. In those times, I thought wearing hijab is traditional in Middle East countries and I'm from Asia. I was full of arrogance to think and say, "hey, I can't be covering my head, its for Arabs and those places. I don't look good and felt backward." But every time I went out of my house, I felt this little ache in my heart that goes over my head and thought, if I wear my scarf just for today, I wouldn't feel the pressure. I was sure of this because every time I go to masjid with my prayer veils, I felt so comfortable and light, seemed part of my garb. Then, Allah Almighty showed me why. I picked the Qur'an one day and my hands took me to the surah where He was instructing the women to cover their bodies and heads out of humility and nakedness. This is what Allah wants. I read it over and over to digest it more in my brain. And that's not all, when I read surah Mariam (where I got my name) I thought I should be giving good example to my children and friends by following her in all possible aspects of life just to be close to Allah. I fully realized how stupid and ignorant I was. I was so vain and stubborn. However, the most important lesson I experienced after accepting the fact about hijab and wearing it, I started searching, reading and learning more about the Qur'an and any Islamic books I could get my hands on. I felt I wasn't getting enough information, I would read until late nights and start over again when I wake in the morning until my eyes hurt and puffed. All I could say, Allah Almighty is so merciful and kind, He opened the doors for me and my family. InshaAllah before I die, I can read the Arabic Qur'an. InshaAllah, keep all of us from disbelief and forgive all our sins, Ameen.


"And, O my people, ask forgiveness of your Lord, then repent to Him, and He will loose heaven in torrents upon you, and He will increase you in strength unto your strength; and turn not your backs as sinners.'" Qur'an Hud 11:52

May Allah give you the strength to obey Him and increase you in abundance. Ameen.

Wassalaam.

No comments:

Post a Comment